Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Exam Grading

I have now finished all teaching and exam giving and am left with exam grading. Though generally speaking it's not very fun and I hate it, it does have redeeming moments.

The writing section for Year 1 instructed them to write one paragraph about a festival, or national holiday, in Cambodia giving various details about the event.

This is one correct response that I received from one of my top students.

"The festival that I've participated is Water Festival. This festival is celebrated for three days every year. We celebrate this festival in order to remind about the marine because in the past the marine fought so hard with the enemy to protect the country." (She is describing a historic battle that was fought along the river). "I participated this festival last year. I went to the river side to see the boat racing with my friends. It was really fun. I'll go again this year and I think it will be fun like last year."
Wonderful grammar, nice and brief: full credit.

And this is one incorrect response.

"Last week my brother and I had a party at my house. We do this because we want to meet our friends, especially my siblings in my hometown. At first we bough som beaf, pork, some ingredients and about drink we choose ABC beer and tiger beer. during we have foods with beer, we feel drunken, and then we danced to the tone each other. We so happy together in there. and after we had small talk and went to bed. It's our traditional culture. For people, when they have leave for a long time and when they come back, they always do this to meet each other in their places."
Incorrect grammar, incorrect (though entertaining) content: not full credit.

1 comment:

  1. "about drink we choose ABC beer and tiger beer. during we have foods with beer, we feel drunken, and then we danced to the tone each other. We so happy together in there. and after we had small talk and went to bed."

    that's my favorite part. thanks for posting it:) CLASSIC.

    ReplyDelete