Thursday, February 26, 2009

Vacation Again

In the middle of February RUA had its semester break. After administering exams I took off for some travel time with my parents! They came to visit for just under two weeks. It was a wonderful mixing of blessings for me as I got to travel, spend time with my parents and have two extra people to help me with my grading. :)

Our first trip was up to Siem Reap to see the temples of Angkor Wat. This fantastic area is the most famous part of Cambodian history and it was very easy to see why. The thought that these were all created and survived this long was quite a marvel in itself. The hotel room with air conditioning and hot water was also a marvel, but mostly just for me. We also had a lot of fun exploring the craft shops in the town of Siem Reap as well as spending time with an MCC family that is stationed up there.

After returning to Phnom Penh for one night we next headed off to the coastal town of Kep. We only spent one day there, mostly relaxing and eating a lot of seafood. Returning to Phnom Penh again my parents were faced with the reality that after 1, maybe 2 days there is literally nothing to do in this city. So they joined me in my regular activity of sitting around the office being bored.

Overall we all had to make adjustments for the heat. Them because they are coming from American winter (40-50F), and me because I was coming out of Cambodian winter (70-80F). We also had more than our fair share of traffic incidents which I think was unfortunate for such a short visit. I think my parents are probably now very concerned about me driving in city traffic. But I'm really ok with that because I'm concerned about me driving in city traffic.

Now I've finished my grading and have just a couple more days to enjoy being bored before teaching starts again on Monday. I have a feeling that second semester will fly by, especially with all the extensive vacations coming up. More travel to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment