Friday, April 24, 2009

Classes

This week we returned to classes after the two-week break for Cambodian New Year. I was uncertain about attendance after the holiday, but most of my classes had good return. The problem class was, of course, my upper-level class. This was supposed to be the start of student teaching in groups. On Monday afternoon only a quarter of the students even showed up and none of them were the ones who were supposed to teach the lesson that day. On Wednesday there was greater attendance, but still none of the students who were teaching. Being very pressed for time with this chapter I began to teach the lesson. About 20 minutes in the group slowly began to trickle in. When I questioned them whether they were prepared to teach they looked at me with laughs that indicated they had totally forgotten. "But we can go next class, right?" When I informed them that they had to do it now or never they proceeded to stand up and teach a shambles of a class. The students listening had no idea what was going on and were utterly confused. I sat at a desk in the corner silently mourning the disaster that had been my great idea for second semester. Worse was the thought that there are still three more groups scheduled to teach lessons. I am still perversely clinging to the hope that it might be better, maybe the groups will prepare more...we'll see about that.

On the other side of the coin, however, is my Year 1 class. No matter what I make them do, they are always willing and cheerful. Sometimes more so than others but always willing to engage. They really are a saving grace for me and some weeks that's all I have to look forward to. Also a surprise last week: my silent Year 1 class gave me flowers. I don't know who picked them, but when I walked into class there was a bunch of my favorite flower on the desk, which was very pleasant. I think they might be starting to talk a little more too, but that could just be my wishful imagination.

No comments:

Post a Comment