Thursday, March 26, 2009

Left standing in the dust

On Tuesday I rode moto-dupe out to RUA instead of driving with Christa. She doesn't teach till later so prefers to drive herself later and I don't mind to ride 'public transportation.' On this particular occasion I hailed a moto on the corner near the office, a guy we ride with not infrequently. He indicated that he knew where the university was and we set off after agreeing on a price. I am not quite sure why the moto-dupes don't like to take the way across the new bridge, but they don't. So we went the long way around, with no short-cuts. I was reminded how very grateful I am that I don't have to drive that way myself anymore, with the narrow road and the over-size trucks.

We made it safely along all the main roads however, and turned onto the smaller road leading straight to RUA. The only traffic on this road are the students and the cows. After a minute, my driver slowed and then stopped. He craned his neck around and examined something by my foot. Then we started slowly driving only to stop again. Once again he began looking at the bottom of his moto near my foot. I slid off so he could easier examine what the problem was. Suddenly, with no word of explanation to me, he took off. I watched him fly away, my mouth open with disbelief. The thoughts that started running through my head were something like these: "I haven't paid him yet, surely he'll come back." "It's a long walk to the gate and then that far again to the office." "The students will laugh at me walking." "I guess I'll start walking..." "Maybe I should take my helmet off now...NO, it's too hot." "I bet those guys sitting on the side of the road watching me with big smiles think this is really funny." "Ahh, here he comes back, what on earth is his problem?" I got back on the moto and we literally flew the rest of the distance to the office on campus. When I got off for real and paid him he tried to indicate to me that there was a problem with his kickstand dragging on the ground, which I could see. I still don't understand why that required driving away and leaving me somewhat stranded. Unsolved mysteries of life here.

1 comment: