Tuesday, March 10, 2009

March Check-in for Team Meeting

Since I skipped, I mean was unavoidably absent from the last team meeting I have a little more variety to report in my check-in. The big highlights of the past few weeks were finishing final exam and having my parents come visit. Final exams went well and after drafting my parents to help me grade I had only 5 out of 103 students fail. I also discovered I have a student with very good attendance who is actually enrolled in a different class.
I used the break between semesters to travel with my parents, including a trip up to Siem Reap and a short jaunt down to Kep. They were eager to travel with me, as well as spend time in Phnom Penh seeing the places of my daily life. It's possible they got a little bored, but that's just another step in experiencing life here in Cambodia.
Starting second semester at RUA was a slow process with me begging the students to come to class and them refusing. They finally are starting to show up a week later. I've also been trying to ask each of my classes what specific skills or areas they want to focus on this semester. So I ended up with reverse syllabus burnout, where the students were telling me all the things I would have to teach this semester, instead of the teacher telling the students all the work they would turn in.

No comments:

Post a Comment